Mutual exchange

A mutual exchange is a home swap between two residents living in social housing. They can take place for many reasons, such as needing more (or less) space, moving for work or to be closer to family. It’s a great option for those who can’t access or don’t want to wait for the normal allocation process. It gives you more control and means you’re able to choose a home that better suits your needs in a place you want to live. Please check your tenancy agreement to see whether you’re eligible to exchange.

Homeswapper can be a good place to find people to swap with. Check out the HomeSwapper Website for more information. You don’t need to swap with another Rosebery resident, you can swap with anyone who is eligible.

Once you’ve found someone to swap with, you’ll need to apply to us and the landlord of the home you want to move to. The person you’re swapping with will need to do the same. You can find our application form on our website- Moving Home – Rosebery Housing Association

Once all applications have been received, we usually confirm whether the exchange can go ahead within 42 days. Our decision will be based on whether the property size is suitable for the person moving into it, and whether there have been any tenancy breaches, e.g., rent arrears.

Please get in touch if you’d like to find out more about a mutual exchange.

Rosebery Housing is a trading name of Town and Country Housing, which is a subsidiary within the Peabody Group and is a charitable Registered Society under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, registered with the Financial Conduct Authority No. 30167R. Registered office: Town and Country Housing, Monson House, Monson Way, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1 1LQ. Rosebery Housing provides housing and repair services to customers in Surrey and West Sussex, supporting sustainable communities by forging strong partnerships, working closely with local customers and creating local jobs.

Select a contrast level
Select a font size
Send message