Repairs advice and FAQs

Here you will find a few handy videos and frequently asked questions about repairs and your home.

Please note that when our Repair Operatives visit your home they should always show you their photographic identification badge. If ID is not produced, do not let the operative into your home and call us straight away on 01372 814 000.

How do I reset my RCD board?

You would need to reset your RCD (consumer board) if an appliance fuse or light bulb blew.

How do I fix a blockage and prevent one?

If you have a blockage in your toilet, our video shows you how to try to unblock it using boiling water.

Do not pour the water all at once as this could make the problem worse, Do not continue to pour water if the blockage is not clearing. If you have a very cold toilet do not use boiling hot water as the toilet could crack.

How do I unblock my sink?

Do you know where your stop cock valve is?

When you move into your property you should receive a folder that contains this information or call your Neighbourhood Officer on 01372 814 000 or 0800 096 0395 (landline) or 0333 700 1025 (mobile).

  • Changing a light bulb tips

    For more information on how to use a ladder or step ladder safely, check out this flyer.

    1. If you have down lights, firstly ensure you have a step ladder available – get help if required.
    2. Press the light switch off.
    3. On the fuse board (RCD), flick the switch that relates to the light concerned to the ‘off’ position.
    4. Once you’ve safely climbed the step ladder, tilt the whole fitting downwards to show the retainer.
    5. Release the bulb from the connection.
    6. Remember, if the bulb is hot, leave it for five minutes and remove it with a cloth.
    7. Remove the bulb.
    8. To replace the bulb follow the same method but in reverse.

    Changing a bathroom light

    1. Switch the light off.
    2. Locate the consumer unit (RCD) and flip the trip switch off.
    3. Get the equipment you need, e.g. step ladder and a Philips screwdriver.
    4. Ensure the ladder is secure – get help if required.
    5. Remove the cover by unscrewing the screws anticlockwise.
    6. Remove the bulb by holding from the middle.
    7. Replace with a new bulb by lining up the pins and push up securely.
    8. Put the cover back by lining up the holes and screw clockwise.
    9. Go back to the consumer unit and flip the trip switch back on.
    10. Turn the light back on.

    Tips to remember:

    1. Turn off the electricity before you start.
    2. Always use a safe and secure ladder.
    3. Avoid standing on the top of the ladder.
    4. Do not stand on the side of the bath.
    5. Wear appropriate footwear.
    6. Dispose of the light bulb safely.

Other FAQs and tips:

  • What should I do if I have an electrical emergency?

    This is a situation that poses an immediate risk to health, life, property, or the environment. Call National Grid on 0800 404 090.

  • What is condensation and what should I do about it?

    Condensation is when cold air cannot hold all the moisture and drops of water starts to appear. Often, in cold weather, homes are not sufficentely heated and ventilated so water vaper and condensation can build up.

    If untreated, a large amount of condensation can lead to:

    • The growth of damp and mould
    • Mildew on clothes and other fabrics
    • Rotting of timber.

    Here are a few steps you can take to help reduce the problems and what action Rosebery will take if the problem becomes serious:

    What you can doWhat we can do
    Keep your kitchen and bathroom doors closed to stop warm, moist air travelling to other roomsRepair any leaks coming through or around window frames
    Make sure air bricks and vents have not been covered or blockedFit or upgrade fans in kitchens and bathrooms when needed
    Avoid drying clothes indoors. If you must dry clothes indoors, try to put them in the bathroom with the door closed & the window open or fan on.Arrange a visit from one of our Tenancy Sustainment Officers, who can provide you with advice & assistance with reducing your energy bills and check if you qualify for winter fuel benefits
    Do not dry clothes on radiators.Top up your loft insulation where needed
    Vent tumble driers outsideEnsure you have cavity wall insulation where it can be fitted
    Open windows or make sure the extractor fan is on to let out the air when you have been bathing, showering, washing or cookingFit air bricks or vents in rooms where air circulations needs to improve
    Use cooker hoods and extractor fans wherever fittedRepair gutters and water pipes if they are leaking
    Do not put furniture and belongings too close to cold walls so the air can circulate.Annually service your boiler to make sure it is running safely and efficiently.
  • What are fire doors?

    A fire door is a door with a fire-resistance rating. If you’re a leaseholder, you own the door to your flat and it’s therefore your responsibility, under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, to make sure that the door protects you and others in the event of a fire in the building.

    For a tenanted property, this would be Roseberys’ responsibility to ensure we have fitted the correct door.

    • Fire doors are made from material which will withstand fire for a specified period of time, usually between 30 and 60 minutes.
    • They are at least 44mm thick, which includes infill panels.
    • Have intumescent strips (heat seals) fitted round the edges.
    • Should be fitted with a self-closing device.
    • Have a smoked sealed letterbox and at least three hinges.
    • Fitted with fire resistant safety glass.

    When they’re closed, fire doors perform two important functions in the event of a fire.

    1. They form a barrier to prevent fire and smoke spreading into a flat.
    2. They stop a fire that’s already in a flat from spreading outside the flat and blocking escape routes.

    If your door is non-compliant (does not meet the required specifications of a fire door), then you must replace it as soon as possible.

    Please notify us when you have completed the replacement or you can provide adequate written confirmation that the door is constructed to a minimum of FD30 standard.

    For more information on your responsibilities as a Rosebery resident, check our repairs responsibility page.

  • What should I do if have lost my keys?

    You can call Rosebery Repairs who would charge you or you can call out a locksmith. Check to see if your content insurance covers you for this, as you‘ll need to keep all of your receipts.

    Key fobs

    If you lose your key fob you’ll need to contact Rosebery’s Customer Experience Team. You‘ll be provided with another fob for a small fee.

    If your fob is stolen you’ll need to provide Rosebery’s Customer Experience Team with a crime reference number.

    Helpful hints

    Leave a spare set of keys with your neighbour/friend.

    We recommend that you don’t label your keys with your address because if you do lose them, your home could be broken into.

  • What should I do if I smell gas or have a gas leak?

    Call the National Gas Emergency line on 0800 111 999.

  • How do I maintain my smoke alarm?

    Test your alarm weekly – press the test button for at least two seconds until you hear a bleeping sound. If this doesn’t work please contact the Rosebery Repairs on 0800 0960 395 from a landline or 0333 7001 025 from a mobile.

    You need to maintain your alarm weekly and this can be done by hoovering around the area.

  • What should I do if I have a rodent issue?

    If it is in a communal area, call Rosebery Repairs on 0800 068 7664 (free phone).

    If it is in your home, you need to call your Local Authority.

  • What is the difference between drains and sewers?

    A drain is a pipe that drains water and waste from a building and other buildings which belong with it.

    A lateral drain is a length of pipe that carries wastewater away from your property. It’s located outside your property boundary, often under a public pavement or road.

    A sewer collects water and waste from the drains of a number of buildings. Most sewers are maintained by your water company.


    If you’re a shared owner or leaseholder you’re responsible for the drain inside your property boundary.

    If you rent your property you’ll need to report this to Rosebery Repairs. Freephone from landlines 0800 0960 395, from mobiles 0333 7001 025.

  • What should I do if I have a heating issue?

    Call T Brown, who operate 24/7 for your support needs, on 020 8786 1241 or free phone on 080 0093 9447.

The information published in these videos is intended for general guidance only and is not offered as professional advice. While care and consideration has been taken in the creation of these videos, we do not warrant or guarantee that the material published is in all respects accurate, complete and current. Rosebery Housing Association accepts no liability for the health and safety of its residents in carrying out any work in line with these video guidelines. We exclude any liability, including any liability for negligence, for any loss, damage or injury arising from reliance on this material.

Rosebery Housing is a trading name of Town and Country Housing, which is a subsidiary within the Peabody Group and is a charitable Registered Society under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, registered with the Financial Conduct Authority No. 30167R. Registered office: Town and Country Housing, Monson House, Monson Way, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1 1LQ. Rosebery Housing provides housing and repair services to customers in Surrey and West Sussex, supporting sustainable communities by forging strong partnerships, working closely with local customers and creating local jobs.

Select a contrast level
Select a font size
Send message