Understanding Disrepair Claims

As your landlord we are responsible for some types of repairs to your home. You can request a repair through your My Rosebery account, by mailing repairs@rosebery.org.uk or by calling 01372 814000

There may be times where repairs take longer than you’d expect, or there maybe something that you’re not happy with.

If this happens please raise the issue through our complaints process. We always aim to treat complaints seriously and investigate them fairly.

If landlords don’t deal with known repair problems then residents can take legal action.

This is known as a Disrepair Claim. There are lots of firms who offer legal support on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis.

Please be aware that these companies may not always be acting with residents’ best interest at heart.

Their aim is to make money, and quite often they will take most of any compensation won.

You may also be asked to pay hidden costs, such as an insurance policy, and you may be responsible for legal fees if your claim isn’t successful.

Some cases can take years to resolve and you may have to give evidence in court, which can be very stressful.

If you decide to stop the claim you will usually have to pay for all the legal costs up to that point.

The claims firm may also tell you not to allow us into your home to carry out repairs as it will affect the claim.

This could be very dangerous and may lead to further damage to your personal property, which generally won’t be covered by the claims or legal firm.

If you need a repair or feel that a repair has not been dealt with properly, please talk to us. As a responsible landlord we want to fix any issues you may have in your home.

We’ll never try to stop you from making a disrepair claim but if you are considering it, please speak to us first so we can discuss your options.

We will always work with our residents to deal with any issues, but we will always defend ourselves against any bogus claims.

You can get independent advice from these organisations:

Rosebery Housing is a trading name of Town and Country Housing, which is a subsidiary within the Peabody Group and is a charitable Registered Society under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, registered with the Financial Conduct Authority No. 30167R. Registered office: Town and Country Housing, Monson House, Monson Way, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1 1LQ. Rosebery Housing provides housing and repair services to customers in Surrey and West Sussex, supporting sustainable communities by forging strong partnerships, working closely with local customers and creating local jobs.

Select a contrast level
Select a font size
Send message