Our approach to items left in communal areas

As well as being at risk of being stolen, items stored in communal areas also increase the risk of a fire occurring. To help reduce fire risks, we will remove items found in communal areas.

Our approach explained.

Where items appear to be rubbish or are highly flammable (such as petrol or paint), we will remove them immediately.

For other items, we will do our best to find out who they belong to so we can work with them to get it removed.

Although we are not required to, where possible, we will issue a tort notice (see below) giving you a period of time to remove your items before we do. In some cases, removing an item immediately is the best option to keep everyone in the building safe.

If we do remove your item, we can’t take responsibility if it is damaged during the process, and we can’t offer any form of compensation.


What happens after an item has been removed from my building?

Depending on the type of item, there may have been a cost involved in moving it. If we can identify the owner(s) of the items, the cost will be recharged to them. If we cannot identify the owner(s), the cost will be recharged back to the block.

We know that any unplanned payments like this can be difficult to meet, so if you’re concerned about money, then please do get in touch with our Tenancy Sustainment Officers. You can contact them by calling 01372 814000.

Why is it important that items are removed from communal areas?

Storing items in communal areas can:

  • Increase the risk of a fire occurring.
  • Obstruct and slow down the emergency services.
  • If your building has an evacuation policy, or if a fire occurs and the Fire Brigade tell you to get out, items left in communal areas will also slow you and your neighbours down from getting to safety.

If you find items are blocking communal areas or fire escapes in your building, or if you have any questions on any of the above, please contact us to let us know. You can email us via customerexperience@rosebery.org.uk or call us on 01372 814000..

Rosebery Housing is a trading name of Town and Country Housing, which is a subsidiary within the Peabody Group and is a charitable Registered Society under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, registered with the Financial Conduct Authority No. 30167R. Registered office: Town and Country Housing, Monson House, Monson Way, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1 1LQ. Rosebery Housing provides housing and repair services to customers in Surrey and West Sussex, supporting sustainable communities by forging strong partnerships, working closely with local customers and creating local jobs.

Select a contrast level
Select a font size
Send message