FAQ’s for residents experiencing ASB or domestic abuse

As you spend more time at home, you are likely to become more aware of noise from your neighbours who are also home for longer periods and at different times to their usual routine.

We encourage you to be patient and tolerant, as always, but especially so during this period. However, we are aware that there will still be incidences of anti-social behaviour and domestic abuse, so we have prepared some answers to questions you may have:

I have experienced or am at risk of experiencing domestic abuse. What can I do?

If you feel unsafe during the coronavirus lockdown we want to reassure you that we are here for you to talk to and that we will do everything we are able to support you during this challenging time.

If you are in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police. If you are unable to talk on the phone, call 999 and then press 55. This will transfer your call to the relevant police force who will assist you without you having to speak.

I believe my neighbour is at risk of domestic abuse. What can I do?

During the coronavirus lockdown when families are having to spend more time together, there is a higher risk of people experiencing domestic abuse.

If you believe you know someone who is suffering domestic abuse, you must report your concerns to the police immediately by calling 999. We also invite you to report your concerns to Rosebery, so that we can take the appropriate steps to support a potential victim.

My neighbour is ignoring Government guidelines and is receiving visitors over during lockdown.

During the current lockdown, the Government advises that ‘social distancing’ measures must be taken in order to reduce the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19). This includes the need to avoid gatherings with friends and family and to avoid gatherings in public spaces.

Powers have been given to relevant authorities, including the police, for these measures to be enforced. If you see or hear anything from a neighbour to indicate that they have a ‘gathering’ of people in their home, you should report this to the police on 101.

Rosebery does not have the power to enforce these measures but we want to hear whenever and wherever gatherings are taking place, as we are keen to support the measures put in place by the Government to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

How can I help reduce the impact of noise from my own home during this period?

Here are some tips for reducing noise in the home to minimise disturbance to your neighbours:

DIY work and gardening

  • Avoid doing noisy jobs early in the day or late in the evening.
  • Consider letting your neighbour know if you are doing DIY work or using noisy gardening tools. Make sure you do this with ‘social distancing’ in mind. Consider putting a note through their door or making a phone call to them.

In the house

  • Avoid stamping your feet or slamming doors including cupboard doors.
  • Keep the volume of your TV and music down – consider using headphones.
  • Avoid using noisy appliances, such as washing machines and vacuum cleaners, early in the day or late in the evening.

I am struggling with noise from my neighbour. Is there anything I can do?

Initially, we suggest you ask yourself if the noise is unreasonable:

  • Is it happening during unsociable hours?
  • Do you think there is anything your neighbour could do to reduce the noise?

You may want to let your neighbour know they are disturbing you with their noise. It is important you respect social distancing when you do this, so we suggest you consider making a phone call or posting a note to them rather than knocking on their door.

If you believe your neighbour’s noise levels are unreasonable then you can record any noise using the NoiseApp. This is available free to download from your App Store (Apple or Android). When registering, simply select Rosebery Housing Association as your landlord. We will respond to you via the app.

My neighbour and/or their visitors are being rowdy and/or abusive. What can I do?

If you believe you are at serious risk from someone’s behaviour, you must call the police on 999. For less urgent situations, you should call 101 to report such an incident.

If you have had reason to call the police because you have been subject to threatening or intimidating behaviour, then you must call us when you are in a place of safety to let us know of the incident. If you have a Crime Reference number available, please let us have this when you call. It will make it easier for us when we make contact with the police to gain evidence from them of the incident.

Where someone’s behaviour towards you has been abusive but has not led you to call the police you should still report this behaviour to us. Initially you will be asked a series of questions by one of our Customer Experience Team about the issues you have experienced.

Depending on the information you give us, we will take different follow up actions. These could include a referral to your Neighbourhood Officer who will contact you to discuss how we will look to resolve the problems you are experiencing. This may include the need for you to keep a diary of future incidents using a Diary Sheet. You are invited to start recording incidents as soon as possible even if you have not managed to speak with us at that stage.

There has been some fly-tipping close to my home. What should I do?

Fly-tipping is a criminal offence and you should report any such activities you witness by calling the police on 101. If possible, take a note of the vehicle make and registration number associated with this activity.

If you have been unable to report a fly-tipping incident at the time to the police, please call our Customer Experience Team to report it. We will either make arrangements to move the discarded items or let someone else know, if the fly-tipping is not on our land.

Rubbish removal is included in a resident’s service charge and this will include the removal of fly-tipped items. However, if you are able to identify who is responsible, preferably with any evidence you are able to provide, we may be able to directly charge the perpetrator for the cost of its removal.

Rosebery Housing is a trading name of Town and Country Housing, which is a subsidiary within the Peabody Group and is a charitable Registered Society under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, registered with the Financial Conduct Authority No. 30167R. Registered office: Town and Country Housing, Monson House, Monson Way, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1 1LQ. Rosebery Housing provides housing and repair services to customers in Surrey and West Sussex, supporting sustainable communities by forging strong partnerships, working closely with local customers and creating local jobs.

Select a contrast level
Select a font size
Send message