Rent Changes from April 2024

From April 2024 your rent and service charges will change. You will have received notification of these changes at the end of February.

Here is some guidance on what you need to do next.

If you receive Housing Benefit:

  • We will notify the Local Authority about your new charges.
  • You should check that any changes in your housing benefit entitlement from April are based on your new rent.

If you are claiming Universal Credit:

  • It is your responsibility to let Universal Credit (UC) know about the changes in your rent.
  • You will need to log into your UC account and update your journal with your new charges.
  • You will need to report the change in your rent on, or as soon after the 1st April 2024 as possible (do not report the change in your rent before the 1st April 2024).
  • There should be an outstanding ‘To Do’ item titled ‘confirm your housing costs’ on the ‘date of change’ of rent.
  • Do not use the ‘change of circumstances’ to-do to report an annual rent change.
  • If you have trouble updating your rent charges or feel that you will need support to do so, please get in touch with the Income team on 01372 814 000, message them through your My Rosebery portal or email them at

Important: The financial year 2024/25 is known as a 53-week rent year, which means your rent will be charged 53 times instead of 52. You can work out what you will need to pay by multiplying your weekly rent by 53. Divide that number by 12. This will give you your monthly rent payment for this year. If you receive Universal Credit, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has said it won’t pay any extra to cover this. This means that you will need to pay a little extra each week to ensure your rent is covered and you don’t fall into arrears.

If you do not understand and are unsure what to do, please get in touch with our Income Team on 01372 814 000 or email


If you pay by Direct Debit:

  • We will adjust your payments for you.

If you do not pay by Direct Debit:

  • You will need to amend your payments yourself. This includes notifying your bank if you pay by standing order.
  • If you need any help calculating the amount you need to pay, please contact us and we will be happy to help you.

Keeping Your Account up to Date:

  • We would like to remind all residents that all charges are due to us in advance.
  • It’s really important that you pay your rent and any other charges in accordance with your tenancy agreement or lease, and that you don’t let your account fall into arrears at any time. This means that your account should always be in credit or at a £0 balance.
  • If you are currently receiving Housing Benefit or Universal Credit which pays in arrears, then you need to make additional payments to ensure that your account remains in credit or at a £0 balance.
  • Please contact us to agree a payment plan if your account is not currently being paid in advance.

If you’re having any difficulties paying your charges:

  • We’re here to help, so if you are having any difficulties, please get in touch with our Income Team who can provide advice and support.
  • Email, message through your My Rosebery portal or call 01372 814 000.
  • We also have a free benefit and budgeting calculator available on our website: Better Off Calculator
Rosebery Housing is a trading name of Town and Country Housing, which is a subsidiary within the Peabody Group and is a charitable Registered Society under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, registered with the Financial Conduct Authority No. 30167R. Registered office: Town and Country Housing, Monson House, Monson Way, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1 1LQ. Rosebery Housing provides housing and repair services to customers in Surrey and West Sussex, supporting sustainable communities by forging strong partnerships, working closely with local customers and creating local jobs.

Select a contrast level
Select a font size
Send message