Temporary Accommodation FAQs

  • What is temporary accommodation (TA)?

    Temporary accommodation is housing that is specifically for people who have found themselves homeless. Nominations for TA are sent to us from local authorities. We work closely with Epsom Ewell Borough Council, Guildford Borough Council and Crawley Borough Council to provide individuals or families with emergency accommodation. TA properties range from studio flats up to three bedroom houses.

  • How long will I be living in temporary accommodation?

    It is impossible to advise you on how long you can expect to live in TA. This is because we cannot predict when properties will be available for future rent.

  • Who pays for temporary accommodation?

    TA is not free and you will be expected to pay rent. If you receive Housing Benefit from your local authority, this will help pay for the rented accommodation. If you do not receive it then our Temporary Accommodation Co-ordinator will assess whether you are eligible for housing benefit and he will assist you in completing the application form. Failure to pay your rent could result in eviction from your home and the council could then find you ‘intentionally homeless’ – which means they will no longer have a responsibility to provide you with temporary housing.

  • Are heating and hot water charges covered in my rent?

    Our Temporary Accommodation Co-ordinator will tell you during the sign up process if bills are included in your rent or whether you have to pay them separately.

  • What tenancy agreement will I be given when I move into TA?

    Residents living in TA will be granted an assured shorthold tenancy agreement. If your homelessness application is still under review by the council when you move in, you will be placed temporarily on a non-assured tenancy.

  • Is it possible to take pets into temporary accommodation?

    You cannot take any pets into TA (except guide dogs). You should try to arrange for pets to be taken care of by a friend or family member or make alternative arrangements.

  • I would like to report anti-social behaviour (ASB) - how do I do this?

    Please visit our Anti-Social Behaviour page in My Neighbourhood to read our advice on ASB.

Rosebery Housing is a trading name of Town and Country Housing, which is a subsidiary within the Peabody Group and is a charitable Registered Society under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, registered with the Financial Conduct Authority No. 30167R. Registered office: Town and Country Housing, Monson House, Monson Way, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1 1LQ. Rosebery Housing provides housing and repair services to customers in Surrey and West Sussex, supporting sustainable communities by forging strong partnerships, working closely with local customers and creating local jobs.

Select a contrast level
Select a font size
Send message