Shared Ownership FAQs

  • How do I buy more shares in my property?

    Buying more shares in your home is called ‘staircasing’. You can usually staircase up to 100% of your property and this should take four stages (your lease will confirm if you can do this). Contact us via email if you want to buy more shares and we’ll arrange for an independent valuation to be carried out at a cost to you. When you receive the valuation, let us know in writing or email how much more you want to buy. Find a solicitor to act for you (you’ll be responsible for the fees). The valuation lasts for three months and you’ll need to complete your purchase within this time. Please send us a message through your My Rosebery account or call us.

  • How do I sell my share in my property?

    If you wish to sell you home, you will need your home to be valued by a fellow or associate of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). They will then decide the amount you can sell your home for according to your share of the property. If you tell us you want to sell your home, we will try to find someone to buy your share. Rosebery have a nomination period. This is usually 8 or 12 weeks where we’re allowed to find a buyer for your share (you cannot sell on the open market during this time). You’re then allowed to sell your share on the open market once the nomination period has ended.

  • What are my repairs responsibilities as a shared owner?

    As a shared owner, you are responsible for all of the repairs inside your property. You can report communal repairs in a block to us via your My Rosebery account or call 0800 096 0395.

    Find out more about your specific repairs responsibilities here.

  • I am thinking about getting a pet – am I allowed a pet in my home?

    If you live in a flat, you will need permission from Rosebery to own a pet as some leases do not allow pets. If you live in a house, you may keep a pet if there are not usually any restrictions.

  • Am I allowed a Sky dish in my home?

    Some blocks have a communal sky dish, please contact us through your My Rosebery account or call usfor further information and what applies to your property.

  • What are service charges and how are they billed?

    The service charge that you pay us is for the maintenance of your communal areas and the services provided to you. Your tenancy agreement will set out the services.

    The service charge is made up of a number of costs which may include:

    • Cleaning and gardening to shared areas
    • Door entry systems
    • Day-to-day repairs
    • Shared TV aerial maintenance
    • Fire safety equipment
    • Repair and replacement communal furniture
    • Lighting of communal areas

    This will show you whether costs have exceeded the service charge for that year.

  • What if service charge costs exceed the estimated amount stated?

    If costs have exceeded the amount taken in service charges then next year’s service charge will rise to allow for this. The service charge will also increase in line with inflation and with other known cost increases.

  • What if service charge costs amount to less than the estimated figure?

    If the account shows a surplus of money, service charge costs will be reduced proportionately in the following year.

  • What is a sinking fund?

    Sinking funds are set up to cover the costs of internal communal areas and external redecoration and replacement of components such as door entry systems. Sinking funds are kept with property if you decide to sell.

  • I would like to make some alterations to my home – can I do this?

    General decoration of rooms in your home are allowed (i.e. painting, adding wallpaper). Any other alterations, you would need to ask our permission first before undertaking any work. Please fill out the form below with your relevant information and we will contact you.

    Changes to my Home

  • Can I sub-let my home as a shared owner?

    Under a shared ownership lease, you are not allowed to sub-let, however we may allow this for a limited period of time under certain circumstances. Please message us through your My Rosebery account or call us for further information.

  • How can I report issues in my neighbourhood?

    You can find out who your Neighbourhood Officer is on the ‘Housing Officer’ page in your My Rosebery account.

    You can also message them directly through your account.

  • I am experiencing financial issues – what should I do?

    If you are experiencing financial issues, please take a look at our support pages as we are able to offer advice and support.

  • I am experiencing anti-social behaviour - what should I do?

    Please visit our ASB advice page for further guidance around what is classed as anti-social behaviour and how it can be resolved. If it is an emergency situation, please call 999 and ask for the Police.

  • Do you service my boiler?

    You are responsible for the maintenance and servicing of your boiler.

  • Am I allowed wooden flooring in my flat?

    No. Our apartments are sold with carpet and your lease does not allow you to install hard flooring.

  • Does my rent increase each year?

    The rent is reviewed and will increase in line with provisions of your lease from 1st April each year.

Rosebery Housing Association Limited is a charitable registered society under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014. Registered No. IP27671R. Registered Provider LH4026.
Select a contrast level
Select a font size
Send message