If you are unable to pay your rent or are struggling to pay other bills, please contact us as soon as possible, as the earlier we talk to you, the sooner we can help. Email our Tenancy Sustainment Officers (TSOs) at firstname.lastname@example.org
There are certain bills that have serious consequences if you do not pay them. For example, rent is a priority debt and should be paid first. If you don’t pay them, the consequences can include:
- losing your home due to rent arrears
- having your gas or electricity supply cut off
Non-priority debts usually have less serious consequences. However, the people you owe money to could sue you for money owing, resulting in a County Court Judgement.
How to Deal With Debt:
- Do not ignore the problem.
- If you have lost your job or are off work because of illness, check that you’re claiming all the benefits you are entitled to.
- Do not borrow money to pay off your debts without getting advice first, as borrowing could lead to you getting further into debt.
- Work out your personal budget.You can download our personal financial statement template to complete to help you work out your income and outgoing expenses:
- Put forward a reasonable offer of regular payment to creditors.
- Tackle your priority debts first.
- Contact everyone you owe money to and explain your situation.
- Keep trying to reach an agreement, even if creditors are difficult.
- If you are taken to court, then you need to complete the defense documents provided by the court.
- Always attend court hearings and take a copy of your financial statement with you.
- Keep copies of any letters or forms you send and receive.
- If you consider borrowing money as an option, it’s important to keep up the repayments otherwise you could be taken to court and might lose your home.
Organisations that provide free support for people in need
Phone: 01372 814 000
Citizens Advice local contact numbers:
Epsom & Ewell: 0300 330 1164
Reigate & Banstead: 0844 411 1444
Guildford: 01483 576699
Tandridge: 01883 344777
Crawley: 0844 477 1171
Runnymede: 01932 827187
Or visit the main CAB website
Parashoot advisors can visit you in your own home. If you’d like to speak with a member of Parashoot then phone us on 01372 814 000 and we’ll arrange for them to contact you.
Christians Against Poverty (CAP)
CAP can carry out visits in your own home. Call them free on 0800 328 0006 or from a mobile on 01274 760 839. For more information visit CAP
Telephone: 0808 808 4000
Stepchange Debt Charity
Telephone: 0800 138 1111
Telephone: 0800 280 2816/0207 760 8980