Select a contrast level
Select a font size

Changes to Water Charges


If you received a letter from us in October 2017, we were writing to you to let you know about some upcoming changes to the way you pay for water and sewerage services in the future. The proposed change is due to come in from the 1st of April 2018.

Currently Sutton and Thames Water currently provide you with your water and sewerage charges. We then recharge you for this service via your rent account. We are proposing that from the 1st of April 2018 this will change – we will no longer include water and sewerage services as part of your rent account. Instead, Sutton and Thames Water will send you a separate bill, and you will pay them directly for this service. Please note this is only for your water and Sewerage charges service.

If you would like to discuss this please contact our Customer Experience Team via email at or via live chat below.

  • What will the changes mean for me?

    Rosebery Housing Association and the water companies have worked together for many years under the terms of an agreement, meaning your water and service charges were collected by Rosebery Housing Association within your rent account.

    As your landlord, Rosebery Housing Association are proposing to change the way residents will pay for water and sewerage charges in the future. When implemented these changes will start from 1 April 2018. We believe it would be simpler and more transparent for you if your water and sewerage charges are billed to you directly.

  • When will I receive my bill?

    Rosebery Housing Association will still collect your water and sewerage services until the 31 March 2018 as the service is still under the Rosebery Housing Association contract. You will be contacted by Sutton and East Surrey or Thames Water and your new bill will be generated by them.

  • Can I give Sutton and East Surrey or Thames Water my bank details now to set up a direct debit ready for my new bill?

    The water companies will be in touch 1 month before the first bill in due for you to make arrangements to pay the water charges to them. This can be via a standing order, direct debit or other arrangements.

  • Can I apply for a water meter?

    Residents have always been able to apply for a water meter. Your application should be made to the water companies directly and they will then assess if your property is suitable for a meter to be installed.

  • Can the water companies help me to pay my bills before the changes happen?

    The Water companies has lots of ways they can help you save money by using water more efficiently. They can also check your eligibility for preferential rates to help you get all the help you need.

    You can find more information on all of the affordability help options on their website:

    Thames Water

    SES Water

  • Will my bill/water charges increase?

    SES and Thames Water review their charges each year according to rules published by the water industry regulator, Ofwat. Charges can go up or down depending on a number of factors.

  • Do I need to notify Housing Benefit or Universal Credit about the changes to the water charges?

    Water charges are not eligible for Housing Benefits and Universal Credit, therefore you will not have to notify Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

Rosebery Housing Association Limited is a charitable registered society under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014. Registered No. IP27671R. Registered Provider LH4026.