We use electricity every day to access entertainment and keep our homes warm and bright. It is easily accessible and makes our lives much more enjoyable, however, it is easy to take it for granted and forget how dangerous it can be.
Every year, faulty electrics or electrical equipment cause around 70 deaths and 350,000 injuries in UK homes. But there are simple steps you can take to keep you and your family safe.
Register your devices for product recalls
Faults are often detected in a specific product and may result in a national recall – this is when the brand takes back all models of a product across the country.
It’s often easy to miss official notifications of product recalls and to carry on using these appliances unaware of the potentially life-threatening risks. If you need to check if your appliance is safe, please visit the Electrical Safety First Product Recall page.
It is also important to register all your electrical appliances when you purchase them. This makes it easier for manufacturers to contact you if they need to issue a product recall. The danger of faulty tumble dryers, fridges and washing machines remains very significant and we encourage you to stay alert to any potential faults and to respond to product recalls.
The do’s and don’ts
- Don’t do it yourself! DIY wiring can lead to electrical parts overheating, causing fires, electric shocks and even death.
- Don’t overload sockets. Plugging too many devices into one socket and over-using extension leads can cause fires by appliances overheating.
- Don’t plug adapters into other adapters.
- Don’t take mains-powered electrical items into the bathroom
- Don’t touch electrical appliances or switches with wet hands.
- Do buy reputable electrical goods. Cheaper unofficial electrical products, such as phone chargers, may not meet safety regulations and can increase the risk of fire.
- Do register your items and check for product recalls.
- Do check your appliance for a CE mark. This shows that the appliance meets European safety standards