Select a contrast level
Select a font size

Help with Universal Credit this Winter


If you make a claim for Universal Credit this winter and you find yourself in financial difficulties, please contact the Universal Credit helpline, as you may be eligible for a Hardship Payment.

What is a Hardship Payment?

A Hardship Payment is designed to help those in need and includes if;

  • You cannot cover your basic and immediate needs for yourself or for dependents (i.e. food, heating, rent).
  • You have tried to seek help from other alternative sources, such as charities, and do not have any means of support.

Who can get Hardship Payments?

  • If you are 18 or over and are sanctioned (or your partner) and
  • For ‘low level sanctions only’ you and your partner if you are claiming jointly have met compliance conditions set by the DWP, for example: you have now taken part in a work-focused interview or have agreed to attend training.
  • Your Universal Credit has been reduced because of a benefit offence

How can I make a claim for a Hardship Payment?

To make a claim, please contact the Universal Credit helpline on 0345 600 0723 or your local Jobcentre Plus office.

You will need to complete a hardship application pack for the DWP. Please note that hardship payments are repayable.



Rosebery Housing Association Limited is a charitable registered society under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014. Registered No. IP27671R. Registered Provider LH4026.